Wednesday, March 10, 2010

Aunt Pearl Twiddles & The National Doily Day Conference

I called my Aunt Pearl this afternoon. Today was National Doily Day and I wanted to know how the convention went. She answered the phone breathless. I knew she had run to catch it before it stopped ringing. “How was the convention,” I asked? I could hear the glee in her voice as she described the mornings events. The convention was held down at the IHOP on Main. There were 12 people there! Up six from last year! Dr. Edward J. Burgerwinster spoke for two and half hours! The way he described pearling and tatting left the entire crowd speechless! It was so moving! Everybody was there: Gretel, the Darlington sisters - Beatrice and Bertha (we still can’t tell them apart), Lily Mae Edding, Opal Louise Brunston and of course Dori and my Aunt Pearl. I could tell by the grunting in the background as Aunt Pearl talked that Uncle Boris was sad he didn’t go. Pearl said the IHOP hadn’t shined like that in years! Why everyone brought a doily and placed it under their plates. Everybody used a doily as a handkerchief and Dr. Burgerwinster placed one in the pocket of his jacket instead of a fresh flower! “You know, the creative uses of doilies will just stun you!” she said. They had an in-depth discussion about framing (so as not to smash them) and various other uses and placement of ceramics on top of them. To center or not? You wouldn’t want to hide the doily from view! You could also tack them onto the front of your Sunday shirts. Then all of a sudden she dropped the phone and ran off. I heard her footsteps as she ran down the hall. Uncle Boris picked up the phone. “What is she doing?” I asked. “I think she’s moving her doilies around in the bathroom." I decided I’d drop by later to see where she’d put them around the house. It was a big day. I’ll have to go now since she’ll probably be worn out from all the excitement and go to bed early tonight.

* Picture - Uncle Boris and Aunt Pearl Twiddles after the National Doily Day Convention - Detcherd, Tennessee - March 2010

No comments:

Post a Comment