Thursday, November 12, 2009

Ever wondered what a Chinese hotel room looks like? This one in Chengdu is my most favorite!

This is one of my favorite places to stay in China. It's actually in Chengdu. My other favorite place is in Beijing in a hostel down in the old part of the city. This hotel is more western than most. I appreciate the western toilet. But the fun thing about this hotel is that the view outside the window is incredible and it sits on a tourist street that the Chinese have transformed into the Ming Dynasty era. Red lanterns line the street and are lit at night and the atmosphere is magical. People laugh and talk at the tea shops below until the wee hours of the morning. I love hearing all the conversations going on outside my window. The Chinese love this street so it's always packed out and festive. It's a fun place to people watch. Look! You can see the trees on the temple grounds next door. So lovely!Oh the western toilet! I do appreciate them when they are available. It's sooo funny. I've seen footprints on toilet seats countless times all across China. They just don't like sitting on something to go to the bathroom. They think it's totally "unclean!" So they squat on them by standing on the lid!So this is what a squatty potty looks like. This also happens to be an exceptionally clean one that I found on the overnight train. Which way do you face? What do you do with your pants? Does it flush? There's obviously no toilet paper. What do you do with it after you've "used" it? It doesn't go down the little hole (there's a little trap door that you can't see)! Mmmmm...I've figured out how to use one "successfully!" If you really want to know how - I suppose I could do a post on it! Isn't it a fun street! The hotel is on the second floor. I could leave my windows open all night.On the whole, I don't like tourist spots. But the Chinese love this street so much that they really make it a lot of fun to visit! It's just not "foreigners" who like to go. The Chengdu Giant Panda Research Center is about an hour from here. I should totally do a post on that place. You'd love it!
* This hotel costs around $35 USD a night.

No comments:

Post a Comment