Saturday, November 28, 2009

I Know the Source of Peace

When I'm broken and depressed. When I'm worn out and have no emotional reserve. When I think I can't make it through another day, I go sit with my Father and my Lord. I ask Him to cover me with His love and peace. I say very little but desire to be simply in His quiet presence. He always meets me there. He tucks me into His hands and wraps me in His love. Even when I'm ripped and torn I know He is at work in my heart. My Jesus longs for me to come to Him and to sit with Him and Him with me. I often can't start my day if I haven't found refuge in Him.
The people of India know nothing of this kind of Love. They have no source for this kind of peace. This morning I was sitting and thinking of them and realized that they will spend their entire lives trying to please a god that doesn't even exist. The god they have created is a fickle God and will determine their future on a whim. They spend each day trying to be good enough for the scale to tip in their favor hoping that they will be granted eternity in heaven.

My God is not fickle. He doesn't rule by emotion or on a whim. He doesn't keep score. His love for me is boundless, limitless and has no breaking point. How do you live without that kind of love and hope? Really. How do you live without a source of peace? Their gods have never offered hope or love and have never given them even a moment of peace. By the time you're 44 don't you just give up? There's no way the scale would ever tip in my favor. Hopelessness would set in. I got the incredible gift of being taken by a native Indian deep into his country. He took me across Mother India by car, taxi, train and plane. I've been in small towns and great cities. I've been in villages and in the jungle. And what impressed me the most was the blank look on the people's faces.

They are faces of lives that are hard and worn down. They are faces that dreamed of a better future but now know it doesn't exist. Not in Hinduism anyway. These children still have hope in their eyes. Their quiet ways entranced me and moved my heart to a deep longing for them to have Hope, and to know Love and to know Peace. Pray for India. Pray for her people to know the love of God. Pray for her children that they might not be trapped in hopelessness but to live free in Christ - tucked in the hallow of his hand.

No comments:

Post a Comment