Monday, November 2, 2009

TIBET - A Journey into the Foothills of the Himalayas





Tibet. It sounds magical doesn't it? When I think of it I think of the movie The Bucket List when Edward and Carter wanted to climb one of the Himalayan mountains. I also think of Buddhism and golden statues. Before I went, I really didn't think much of who actually lived there, what they did day in and day out, or even how they lived. I guess because I just didn't know how to picture it in my head. When I arrived in this tiny Tibetan town school children dressed in their uniforms came streaming down the main road headed back to school from their lunch break. These three boys (pictured above) saw me and started yelling for me to take their picture. They grabbed each other around the necks and smiled for me without me asking. Then they disappeared behind the school wall. When I turned the camera around I was captivated. Look at their faces! Tears began to fall down my cheeks. They became the face of Tibet for me. Three young boys on their way back to school. They're just regular kids wanting to have a good time. They were happy! Would they be trapped in Buddhism their entire lives? I cried again because most likey, they will be. We walked on and came upon the temple. There were beautiful ladies dressed in traditional coats and clothing sitting in front of the prayer wheels. The prayer wheels are full of hand written Buddhist prayers and when they spin them they believe the prayers are sent up to God. So even if you can't read you can still pray by turning the wheels. The wheels are turned constantly by everyone in town - all day long. The statues were huge. The monks were busy cleaning and tending to the temples. There was a festival the next day. They walked along holding hands (it's a sign of friendship) and carried prayer beads. Most were friendly and some even wanted to talk to us through our interpreters. The Tibet I saw was full of color. It was quiet and poor. There were friendly people who were interested in foreigners and welcomed us in their town. There were people who were questioning and stared. I watched the people walk around the statues and bow down before them touching their heads to the ground over and over again. I want them to stand in the glory of God's love and grace. Pray for Tibet - for her children - for her people!


No comments:

Post a Comment